Tuesday, July 28

Pencil Figure Drawing Technique


See the Blackboard Announcements for July 28th to view the 16 minute recording demo. I worked on finding some better techniques that would work in a life drawing situation. I found some hi-res images of Gil Elvgren's figure drawings on the Heritage Auctions site. I used the paper background to make a new paper that I could use as a background for any drawing. I sampled an even area of shading and defined it as a pattern. I then used the pattern stamp tool with my custom brush settings to paint back in the pencil texture. I use a fairly consistent diameter brush with opacity set to pen pressure for the shading and a size pressure brush with no opacity change for the line work. I was able to copy most kinds of drawing textures that he has fairly well.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting for sure. Do You plan to share the brushes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The brush is just a slightly lumpy spot instead of a perfect circle like the default brush. I am not entirely sure how I would post a file for download onto a blog. I will look into it. Figuredrawing.ca looks like a nice site.

    ReplyDelete